Monday, March 1, 2010

Inspiration for 2010 #1

I'm finding myself itching to get back into the swing of things at uni. My recent part time placement at an architectural office has inspired me on a number of levels to jump straight back into designing with a whole new level of knowledge. Exposing myself to the practises of an architectural office has grounded what I learnt in first year university and given it some context- not to discount the huge amount of practical knowledge I've picked up in the office!

Thinking about how I can best file my inspiration I'm turning to my ever neglected blog. This hopefully shall be the first of many more interesting projects and observations I write about.

This is the Rolex Learning Centre by architects SANAA, what struck me most about this building its its form- beautiful curves coming from a rather simple 'swiss cheese' type design. The building boasts a rather interesting topography- the curves inherently create some stunning outdoor spaces- seemingly serene and peacefully flowing. Bridges or ridges form other great transitionary outdoor spaces. As critiqued before, I believe some exploration of the roof (rather than a mimic of the floor) would have resulted in a somewhat more interesting space- allowing for a much more playful and complete design. The current roof solution however was most likely a cost saving decision- the mould for the floor would have easily been raised to ceiling height and re-poured- not to mention the savings in window and framing fabrication costs for structures of consistent height.







No comments:

Post a Comment